Opportunity: Chief Steam Plant Engineer
Location: Edmonton, AB
Salary Range: 95K-115K
Vacation: 4 week
Telework: On site
Benefits: Complete – 50% paid by employer
Oversight of the safe and efficient operation of utility systems for Building Products of Canada’s Edmonton Steam Plant.
- Oversight of ABSA mandated duties and responsibilities to ensure all legal and safety related requirements are fulfilled.
- Oversight of high-pressure steam generation equipment and systems including multiple fired boilers and the turbine.
- Day to day utilities system monitoring, optimization, and troubleshooting.
- Oversight of operating rounds, procedures and standards for the Steam Plant including safe operating procedures, confined space entry, documents, equipment isolation lists for safe lock out and tag out.
- Ensure the equipment design (drawings, specifications, and other required information) has been registered and approved by ABSA before the item is placed in service.
- Ensure that the pressure equipment is designed, constructed, installed, operated, maintained, or decommissioned in a manner that prevents unintentional release of stored energy, injury to people, and damage.
- Ensure all pressure equipment has been issued an ABSA certificate of inspection permit before it is placed into service and that such certificate remains valid throughout the service life of the equipment.
- Ensure that the required integrity assessments are completed by an authorized ABSA inspector.
- Ensure a suitable maintenance program and an effective periodic inspection program.
- Oversight of condensate recovery, boiler feed water treatment, cooling tower, pumps, circulating system and cooling water
- Oversight of compressed air systems, yard air and instrument air compressors, dryers and piping
- Oversight of water treatment systems processes.
- Supervise and ensure competency of direct reports (Power Engineers / Operators).
- Implement (revise) protocols and procedures to assist our operators in diagnosing operational issues.
- Coach operators to work in unison with other departments to solve problems at the root cause.
- Ensure maintenance work prioritization including coordination of shutdowns and major equipment downtime is effectively managed.
- Change management and capital project support.
- Incident investigations and continuous improvement.
- Mentoring employees in operational skill development and Power Engineering practices, studies, and certification.
- Maintain an effective integrity management system for the pressure equipment, to ensure that the pressure equipment is safe throughout its full life cycle — from design, construction, and installation, through operation and decommissioning.
- Engaged in materials procurement and logistics.
- Minimize equipment down time by proactively planning preventative maintenance.
- Once we have the Steam Plant functioning efficiently, we will look to expand the duties of Chief Engineer to assist with other areas directly associated with the Steam Plant, such as the Asphalt Shelter.
- Minimum 2nd Class Power Engineer
- Preferred 7+ years experience in a similar role.
- Depth of knowledge and experience with boilers, turbines, cooling towers, instrument air systems, and wastewater treatment plants.
- Confined space entry and equipment isolation.
- Basic computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Proactive thinker / leader.
- Mechanically inclined.
- Proactive planning for shutdown.
- Proactive maintenance related tasks.
- Demonstrated commitment to safe operation and fluency in industrial safety practices.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills in an industrial setting and the ability to develop creative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work in a complex organization and manage workload independently.